The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 04:32:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Royal and Derngate

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal and Derngate  (Read 741 times)
DavCobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search One year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« on: September 04, 2023, 20:32:37 pm »

Hopefully not the end for an important venue in the town. They don’t build them like they used to.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/people/royal-derngate-closed-and-all-september-performances-postponed-following-unfortunate-discovery-of-raac-4280416
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest3587

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 20:37:18 pm »

Built on the cheap in the 80s, The Royal is an extremely sturdy structure in comparison
Report Spam   Logged
itsme

View Profile
500 Posts Topic Starter Combination
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 06:13:46 am »

Really am gutted to read this from them

As someone who uses the venue slot I hope there is nothing seriously wrong and they can get back open ASAP
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 07:13:01 am »

I suspect a lot of this (with the schools as well as the theatre) is down to an excess of caution. Once they've been inspected I'd imagine most of them will be deemed safe and will reopen.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 07:38:02 am »

I suspect a lot of this (with the schools as well as the theatre) is down to an excess of caution. Once they've been inspected I'd imagine most of them will be deemed safe and will reopen.

I’m not an expert, it doesn’t sound like many are on this stuff!
Fingers crossed it is some minor remediation. It sounds the unpredictability of this material can pose the danger, not ideal in a foyer. This stuff sounds like Grenfell all over again. Can you imagine if there is a major incident at one of these schools?

A great time for structural engineers and surveyors. There’s always some industries coining it in from others misery.

No idea on the financial health of the Derngate but missing a month must hit them pretty badly, without the associated costs to deal with the issue, although this will fall on the WNC as landlords. It’s sounds as though they may relocate some events, so perhaps a good time for the Deco which is probably bullet proof!
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 07:42:57 am »

It's far from my area of expertise too but I think we'd know all about it if a single building had just collapsed due to this. Obviously, if a risk has been identified then it needs to be investigated but I suspect in most cases that will be an end to it.

Like you say, a good time to be a surveyor!!
Report Spam   Logged

DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 09:17:57 am »

It's far from my area of expertise too but I think we'd know all about it if a single building had just collapsed due to this. Obviously, if a risk has been identified then it needs to be investigated but I suspect in most cases that will be an end to it.

Like you say, a good time to be a surveyor!!

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/beam-collapse-sparked-school-building-safety-warning-across-uk-19431226/amp/

The trouble is you can’t wait for something to happen when you know there’s potential issues.
It wasn’t many moons ago that we were happily working around (and with) asbestos. Now that’s on a register and heavily controlled…i.e. remove it or leave it alone!
It couldn’t be in worse locations than schools.
It’ll depend on the various structures and condition, although I’m sure legislation will soon deem that there are immediate regular inspection requirements.
If it has a massively reduced shelf life (or needs physical remediation) it’s going to be hugely expensive going forwards.
I read it wasn’t widely used in the construction of football stadiums, so they should be OK.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 11:07:21 am »

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/beam-collapse-sparked-school-building-safety-warning-across-uk-19431226/amp/

The trouble is you can’t wait for something to happen when you know there’s potential issues.
It wasn’t many moons ago that we were happily working around (and with) asbestos. Now that’s on a register and heavily controlled…i.e. remove it or leave it alone!
It couldn’t be in worse locations than schools.
It’ll depend on the various structures and condition, although I’m sure legislation will soon deem that there are immediate regular inspection requirements.
If it has a massively reduced shelf life (or needs physical remediation) it’s going to be hugely expensive going forwards.
I read it wasn’t widely used in the construction of football stadiums, so they should be OK.
Theres asbestos warning signs in some parts of Npton General Hospital. As you say though, just leave it alone. I know someone who back in the day, used to rip the stuff out and cut it up withy an angle grinder! This was a long time ago, hes now in his mid eighties, has only just retired. He doesnt even wear glasses FFS. I am adamant that there was no way that they found all of the asbestos in the bus station, before they blew it up, and the dust went everywhere.
I cannot get my head around using concrete that only has a 30 year life span though. I thought that sort of thing only happened on Mafia controlled construction sites.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:23 pm »

Theres asbestos warning signs in some parts of Npton General Hospital. As you say though, just leave it alone. I know someone who back in the day, used to rip the stuff out and cut it up withy an angle grinder! This was a long time ago, hes now in his mid eighties, has only just retired. He doesnt even wear glasses FFS. I am adamant that there was no way that they found all of the asbestos in the bus station, before they blew it up, and the dust went everywhere.
I cannot get my head around using concrete that only has a 30 year life span though. I thought that sort of thing only happened on Mafia controlled construction sites.

I dunno…they built a whole football stadium and leisure complex on an area that is clearly slowly sinking, not to mention the toxic gas which provides great natural heating.
Maybe it’s finding it’s level.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 14:06:35 pm »

Has anyone got any inside knowledge of the status there?
I can understand why they are cancelling performances late on (until the 8th) but no indication of whether they are close to reopening.
They must be getting concerned on cash flow and told customers refunds could take 60 days.

Just didn’t know whether any actual building work is taking place there?
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 14:12:57 pm »

Has anyone got any inside knowledge of the status there?
I can understand why they are cancelling performances late on (until the 8th) but no indication of whether they are close to reopening.
They must be getting concerned on cash flow and told customers refunds could take 60 days.

Just didn’t know whether any actual building work is taking place there?

They are reopening from mid october.
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 14:23:02 pm »

They are reopening from mid october.

Timely press release, they must have heard me.
24th October for Derngate, 16th for Royal.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2023, 14:15:32 pm »

There was a theory back in the 60s-80s that technology would mean any new building would soon be outdated so it would be best to build them with a view to replacement in 20 or so years. I think Euston Station is a good example of that thinking.
This obviously never happened so we are left with these rapidly decaying buildings.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 15:00:26 pm »

There was a theory back in the 60s-80s that technology would mean any new building would soon be outdated so it would be best to build them with a view to replacement in 20 or so years. I think Euston Station is a good example of that thinking.
This obviously never happened so we are left with these rapidly decaying buildings.
Euston is an absolute uncoordinated dump, well known for the punter sprint, where they give you three minutes notice of your platform, and everybody legs it down the ramp shoving the poor ticket checking fella out of the way. I would doubt that was built with the intention of being replaced 20 years later.
Nearby Kings X and St Pancras are an example of what should be done, and also gentrification of the surrounding area. The only downside, was no more visits to the "flying scotsman" pub after a grand day out, down at Fulham.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 15:17:49 pm »

Euston is an absolute uncoordinated dump, well known for the punter sprint, where they give you three minutes notice of your platform, and everybody legs it down the ramp shoving the poor ticket checking fella out of the way. I would doubt that was built with the intention of being replaced 20 years later.
Nearby Kings X and St Pancras are an example of what should be done, and also gentrification of the surrounding area. The only downside, was no more visits to the "flying scotsman" pub after a grand day out, down at Fulham.

I did that sprint every day for three years. An utterly miserable period that I've no intention of repeating. That was 7 years ago and I've only just started being able to go to London for leisure purposes without suffering PTSD.
Report Spam   Logged

therealpattcobb

View Profile
Level 4 100 Posts One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 12:52:04 pm »

I did that sprint every day for three years. An utterly miserable period that I've no intention of repeating. That was 7 years ago and I've only just started being able to go to London for leisure purposes without suffering PTSD.
Little tip from a trainspotter, use this, beat the queues and rush to the platform...
www.realtime.trains.co.uk
The situation as of 13.51 as I post this

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:EUS
Report Spam   Logged

Only Gay in the Village??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: