The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:21:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 ... 2180   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1819312 times)
Coolcat, EB Claret (+ 1 Hidden) and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.
BedsCobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #21880 on: June 17, 2018, 16:14:55 pm »

Guess I clicked the wrong quote part, It was aimed at Beds for his comment about it being a non league ground. Sorry!
I must admit to being over generous with my comparison with Sixfields to an non league ground..Its far worse, most non league grounds have enough capacity to allow growth they also large supporters bars/ function rooms to cater for 100s on match day, we dont.
Our stadium is pitifully inadequate on so many levels and is the main reason we cant escape league 2.
The fact Kelvin thinks its ok for now doesn't make it so, its not and never was or will be.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #21881 on: June 17, 2018, 16:21:40 pm »

4 teams in the National League have a bigger capacity than us.

Of those 4 I'd suggest the facilities there are crap....Wrexham...old and relatively poor. Gateshead....Not a football stadium....Leyton Orient.....about the only exception.....Halifax......
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #21882 on: June 17, 2018, 16:32:43 pm »

I must admit to being over generous with my comparison with Sixfields to an non league ground..Its far worse, most non league grounds have enough capacity to allow growth they also large supporters bars/ function rooms to cater for 100s on match day, we dont.
Our stadium is pitifully inadequate on so many levels and is the main reason we cant escape league 2.
The fact Kelvin thinks its ok for now doesn't make it so, its not and never was or will be.

Are you now just actively trying to be antagonistic to get a rise out of people?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #21883 on: June 17, 2018, 17:33:00 pm »

Thats the only ground, that i have been too, where as an away fan, I have been in three different sides of the ground.
Yes, that's true. Done it at Gigg Lane Bury too, though being in the Main Stand in the mid-eighties, when our away contingent amounted to literally 10-20 fans wasn't the official away section.
In that capacity, all four sides at Mansfield!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 17:38:06 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #21884 on: June 17, 2018, 17:36:21 pm »

Ouch!
It was not an 'ouch' or anything of the sort...just a banal nothing mis-placed jib at Beds, which fizzled out like a damp Catherine wheel!

#ntfc #ocfc
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #21885 on: June 17, 2018, 17:44:26 pm »

Of those 4 I'd suggest the facilities there are crap....Wrexham...old and relatively poor. Gateshead....Not a football stadium....Leyton Orient.....about the only exception.....Halifax......
Not forgetting Chesterfield, Stockport...and York Street, Boston would certainly give us a run for our money if not York themselves!
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #21886 on: June 17, 2018, 18:26:34 pm »

Not forgetting Chesterfield, Stockport...and York Street, Boston would certainly give us a run for our money if not York themselves!

I will give you Chesterfield, - Stockport on capacity is ahead but a poor dated ground - but Boston? - too many Lincolnshire real ales I think - their ground is absolute s***e - in fact so poor there are plans for a new ground although surprise surprise development had run into problems!
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: June 17, 2018, 18:31:40 pm »

Are you now just actively trying to be antagonistic to get a rise out of people?  Roll Eyes
People who cant face the truth? No Im not.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #21888 on: June 17, 2018, 18:39:24 pm »

Chesterfield is a fair shout. The rest aren't.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: June 17, 2018, 18:46:47 pm »

A football club should always have a ground
 big enough to cater for its catchment and achieve its full potential.
Having just 6300 home seats and able to cater for just 1400 visiting make Sixfields not fit for purpose when you consider we have a 300,000 people living within 10 miles.
Those non league teams you mention and all others do not fail on this criteria.
We have to acknowledge these blatantly obvious problems and deal with them.
 Kelvin cant keep avoiding the elephant in the room by brushing it under the carpet because even his most fervent followers will one day notice it.
Time to seek investment into our infrastructure methinks.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #21890 on: June 17, 2018, 19:02:27 pm »

Having just 6300 home seats and able to cater for just 1400 visiting make Sixfields not fit for purpose when you consider we have a 300,000 people living within 10 miles.
 Kelvin cant keep avoiding the elephant in the room by brushing it under the carpet because even his most fervent followers will one day notice it.

.......we have been in existence for 121 years and arguably your point on development for sustainable growth has been valid for at least the last 50 years - does it not cross your mind to blame KT (owner for less than 3 years) is just a little bit unreasonable?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #21891 on: June 17, 2018, 19:05:10 pm »

Why didn't you say that first instead of throwing out a random incorrect anecdote.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: June 17, 2018, 19:12:58 pm »

Chesterfield is a fair shout. The rest aren't.
If you are talking capacities, and you are...they are all fair shouts. Stockport is higher capacity than Sixfields, packing Boston's terrace behind the goal (Beds will love that) as said will bring York Street very close.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #21893 on: June 17, 2018, 19:21:18 pm »

Kelvin cant keep avoiding the elephant in the room by brushing it under the carpet

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #21894 on: June 17, 2018, 20:45:01 pm »

If you are talking capacities, and you are...they are all fair shouts. Stockport is higher capacity than Sixfields, packing Boston's terrace behind the goal (Beds will love that) as said will bring York Street very close.

He was talking about capacity and facilities, right?

Boston is 6,600ish btw.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #21895 on: June 17, 2018, 21:34:46 pm »

I always find these arguments on our ground compared with other Clubs a bit meaningless.  Having been to watch the Cobblers at various grounds over the past few years, by and large Sixfields compares favourably with quite a few. Have any of you been to Wimbledon,Portsmouth and Luton? None of the amenities at these grounds are hardly eye catching. Moving from your seat at Luton is a no no. Wimbledon you can miss half the game. Portsmouth;  you need wellington boots to visit the urinals. As for Stanley .... words fail me. A decent ground to visit was Daggers with very decent visitors bar/lounge and even decent toilets and look where they are. The only thing Beds is possibly correct on is capacity; we should have a ground capable of housing 10k souls. Unfortunately it is a horse and cart situation; I prefer to have a decent side first and let demand do the talking.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2539

« Reply #21896 on: June 18, 2018, 04:36:33 am »

I prefer to have a decent side first and let demand do the talking.
I disagree on two points; we have proved in the past that we can not sustain progress when we have a 'decent' side because the financial base and income generating facilities are not in place.

That is why I believe a longer term view is required and the catalyst is an increasd capacity, boxes in the East Stand, seating above the South Stand, safe standing above the North Stand, ALL the corners filled in, giving a minimum of 12,500 capacity. A hotel and conference centre is required to generate sustainable daily income.

To tap into potential future supporters it is not a switch but planned slow process offering entertaining football in a modern stadium! If fans see the target goal they would understand if progress is slow but continuous improvements over 5 years would be acceptable.

The time is right for KT to publish detailed plans for our club!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #21897 on: June 18, 2018, 05:59:35 am »

I disagree on two points; we have proved in the past that we can not sustain progress when we have a 'decent' side because the financial base and income generating facilities are not in place.

That is why I believe a longer term view is required and the catalyst is an increasd capacity, boxes in the East Stand, seating above the South Stand, safe standing above the North Stand, ALL the corners filled in, giving a minimum of 12,500 capacity. A hotel and conference centre is required to generate sustainable daily income.

To tap into potential future supporters it is not a switch but planned slow process offering entertaining football in a modern stadium! If fans see the target goal they would understand if progress is slow but continuous improvements over 5 years would be acceptable.

The time is right for KT to publish detailed plans for our club!

You maybe partly right in the opening sequence of your argument; like Beds you quickly fall into the land of ‘wish list’. Which means that your argument ends up in the mire of horse and cart theories. First build a decent side capable of holding its own in L1. Demand will grow and with it the ability to sustain growth in amenities and infrastructure. Rome was not built in a day.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:02:18 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2539

« Reply #21898 on: June 18, 2018, 06:08:25 am »

When has your plan worked in the past?

Investment in income generation, I believe, is the long-term priority!

I know Rome was not built in a day, that is why I stated a FIVE year investment plan.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #21899 on: June 18, 2018, 06:50:04 am »

It's a vicious circle really. Chesterfield moved way from Saltergate to a bigger stadium with all the facilities and have just been relegated to the conference. Doncaster have spent just as much time in League one, even dropping into League Two since their move. Tranmere have a Championship standard stadium and have spent a year or so in the conference. Stadium MK was built with Premier League football in mind. So it's a fine balancing act between building a stadium with the bells and whistles to be sustainable AND putting your main product on the pitch to fill it.

As for comparing Sixfields non league grounds;

I don't remember York Street and Bootham Crescent being  anything special meanwhile Stockport are poor tenants in a stadium they used to own. And all three are sat below the conference. As pissed off as I am with our relegation, I know I'd rather be watching League football at Sixfields. Be careful what you wish for.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:53:30 am by St Edmundsbury Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 ... 2180   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: