The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 09:07:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

This Season...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Season...  (Read 5918 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 07:07:02 am »

Looking at it from DC's point of view...probably.

He buys a striker for 250k. Big wages or a transfer fee plus wages. Whatever, lets say for argument sake 250k. He then promptly gets injured or turns out to be Andy Kirk. Or Constantine. Or Wilkinson. The moneys spent, he literally loses a quarter of a million squid.

Looking at it from the fans point of view...

He buys a striker. For 250k as above. He scores 25 goals and gets 10 assists. Our gates go up to pay for it, we get promoted and earn more TV money etc. We then sell him for 500k. DC's debt goes down and we are in league1.

Thats what I love about football. Option 2 please DC, you know it makes sense!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 07:20:53 am »

...or your manager makes a promosing signing on a Bosman, hardly ever uses him and he then gets injured on his full league debut.
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:31 am »

Yet more lies from Sampson...

"I've got people in mind who are either free agents or loan signings but I couldn't move for them before because I didn't have the funds but with the good cup run we've had that has made a bit of money available for wages."

So dispite him saying week after week that he is very close to bring players in, he was unable to do so as he didnt have the funds? But now due to the cup run he has a bit of money to spend on wages (even tho Cardoza has said otherwise). What the hell is going on with this club? Does he or does he not have money to spend on wages?  Huh?

Another line from Sampson...

"He has battled on in some discomfort for a long time for the benefit of the team but the pain is unbearable now."

This is Sampson commenting on Gilligans ankle injury. Gilligan has been battleing on for a long time with this injury, he now needs an operation and will be out for 3 months. Have we not just had pre season? If hes been battleing on for so long with it, why not get the problem sorted in pre season?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
bigcitylights

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:43 am »

... this season has been a lot of things (and we're only just out of August) but it hasn't exactly been dull so far.

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2010, 10:40:13 am »

Looking at it from DC's point of view...probably.

He buys a striker for 250k. Big wages or a transfer fee plus wages. Whatever, lets say for argument sake 250k. He then promptly gets injured or turns out to be Andy Kirk. Or Constantine. Or Wilkinson. The moneys spent, he literally loses a quarter of a million squid.

Looking at it from the fans point of view...

He buys a striker. For 250k as above. He scores 25 goals and gets 10 assists. Our gates go up to pay for it, we get promoted and earn more TV money etc. We then sell him for 500k. DC's debt goes down and we are in league1.

Thats what I love about football. Option 2 please DC, you know it makes sense!  Grin

Piss easy to gamble with someone else's money!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:07 am »

... this season has been a lot of things (and we're only just out of August) but it hasn't exactly been dull so far.

Grin Grin

Fooking Soap Opera!
Report Spam   Logged
Erith_Cobbler

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:32 am »

"I've got people in mind who are either free agents or loan signings but I couldn't move for them before because I didn't have the funds but with the good cup run we've had that has made a bit of money available for wages."

So dispite him saying week after week that he is very close to bring players in, he was unable to do so as he didnt have the funds? But now due to the cup run he has a bit of money to spend on wages (even tho Cardoza has said otherwise). What the hell is going on with this club? Does he or does he not have money to spend on wages?  Huh?

Another line from Sampson...

"He has battled on in some discomfort for a long time for the benefit of the team but the pain is unbearable now."

This is Sampson commenting on Gilligans ankle injury. Gilligan has been battleing on for a long time with this injury, he now needs an operation and will be out for 3 months. Have we not just had pre season? If hes been battleing on for so long with it, why not get the problem sorted in pre season?  Roll Eyes

How is it a lie? Sammo's targets were probably financially out of reach on the current budget, but with the Liverpool money he might be able to get one or two of them. DC says the money will go into the running costs, does this not include wages then?

For someone who trusts Sammo so much, you sure love to have a go at him.
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:12 am »

How is it a lie? Sammo's targets were probably financially out of reach on the current budget, but with the Liverpool money he might be able to get one or two of them. DC says the money will go into the running costs, does this not include wages then?

For someone who trusts Sammo so much, you sure love to have a go at him.

So he kept nearly signing players on a weekly basis just to find out they were out of our budget?
Report Spam   Logged
Erith_Cobbler

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:31 am »

So he kept nearly signing players on a weekly basis just to find out they were out of our budget?

I guess so yea. I'd imagine after some negotiations, the wage (either for a free agent or a % of the wage going to the other club for a loanee) became a stumbling block and the deal was called off. It may not be great PR to keep telling the fans that they are close to signing players, but then it doesn't come off, but at least it shows they are being proactive in the transfer market, even if they aren't coming off.

Or do you think Sammo is lying about that too, and we haven't actually tried to bring anybody in. So much for trusting him eh?
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2010, 11:17:47 am »

I guess so yea. I'd imagine after some negotiations, the wage (either for a free agent or a % of the wage going to the other club for a loanee) became a stumbling block and the deal was called off. It may not be great PR to keep telling the fans that they are close to signing players, but then it doesn't come off, but at least it shows they are being proactive in the transfer market, even if they aren't coming off.

Or do you think Sammo is lying about that too, and we haven't actually tried to bring anybody in. So much for trusting him eh?

Maybe he is aiming to high with the players he is trying to bring in. Iv lost count the amount of times he has nearly signed someone. Surely he knows by now what sort of player he can get in with the money he has got?

Who knows what Sampson gets up to, im not too even he does at times...
Report Spam   Logged
Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:59 am »

You're presuming the targets he's referring to are the same as he previously mentioned in interviews.

He may previously have been after targets X, Y & Z, (who were within budget) but they went to other clubs or their parent clubs decided they wouldn't let them go.

He's now looking at targets A,B & C ("I've got people in mind"), who will cost a little more than targets X, Y & Z, but financially that's not such a problem ("with the good cup run we've had that has made a bit of money available for wages").

The money's always been there for wages, but now there's a bit extra.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't. Talk. Sh*te. Twice.
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:34 am »

The money's always been there for wages, but now there's a bit extra.

The reports in the Chron would suggest otherwise.  First Sammo goes public in the Chron that "he's going to talk to DC about bringing in a couple of more new faces".  The Chron then reports that DC states there's no money available.  Crosby then states that we'll have to make do.  QED there was money for wages, but not for incremental wages, hence the insistence that someone had to go out before a new one came in.  None of this in a properly run club should have been aired in public.

Two weeks later we draw Liverpool.  We go through this shebang again.  Except now DC says on the radio we might be able to bring in a new face or two and "who knows, if it's televised we might even be able to pay a fee".  But ironic this is said only after Gilligan was out until Xmas and Purcell injured and awaiting a scan. 

It's all getting very tiresome.   If we're in the s*** at least be honest about it.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2010, 11:43:29 am »

DC said a couple of weeks ago that we were slightly over the wage budget, but he was ok with it.....so the money for wages hasnt always been there at all!

Does anyone know, whether in the case of Purcell, there is some kind of insurance that players must have and that covers the club, that will pay his wages if hes out injured for a length of time? I'm guessing if someones out for a week then insurance doesnt pay out.....but a year??
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »

I might be naive, but when Sammo talked about bringing players in I just presumed that meant he had run it by the chairman and there was some scope for signing players. On the other hand, Sammo could be a bare-faced, thundering wicked liar.

(He's definitely not a bare-faced, thundering wicked liar.)
Report Spam   Logged

Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2010, 12:44:53 pm »

I can't really add a lot to this thread other than to introduce a little bit of expectation management.

With the situation as it is at the moment, I confidently predict we will be out of this division within the next two years...

I will let you draw your own conclusions from that statement....

play-offs here we come.
Report Spam   Logged

DustCobb

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2010, 12:49:45 pm »

I can't really add a lot to this thread other than to introduce a little bit of expectation management.

With the situation as it is at the moment, I confidently predict we will be out of this division within the next two years...

I will let you draw your own conclusions from that statement....

Sadly i think you may be right fenners.
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2010, 13:20:14 pm »

Non league or league 1?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2010, 13:22:27 pm »

The way things are going i can only see it being non league
Report Spam   Logged
Erith_Cobbler

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2010, 13:24:32 pm »

Championship?
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2010, 13:25:13 pm »

The way things are going i can only see it being non league

Agreed, we are defiantly slowly sliding that way...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: