The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:09:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Spend some money & Doomed

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spend some money & Doomed  (Read 1836 times)
Iest_ntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 17:45:27 pm »

Do people realise that the FFP (finacial fair play) rules have come into play this season, which means clubs can only spend 55% of turnover on players. I suspect this has had a bearing on the reduced wadge budget this season and so don't be expecting this to improve until after the redevelopment when hopefully the clubs turnover will increase
Report Spam   Logged

I can't think of anything funny to write here
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 17:47:14 pm »

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.  ****inson was a last desperate attempt to bring a striker in and wouldn't have earned a third of Bayo's wages.  That's why it looks as if he is now heading to mighty, moneybags Stockport County.  Yeah, that same Stockport now in the Conference North.  That way he can afford the bus fare from his mum's house.

Right, and without that injury you still think he'd have ended up in Conf. North? Port Vale just having him on were they? If Liam D!ckinson was fully fit, he'd undoubtedly be on the higher end of the payscale.
Report Spam   Logged
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 17:48:41 pm »

Do people realise that the FFP (finacial fair play) rules have come into play this season, which means clubs can only spend 55% of turnover on players. I suspect this has had a bearing on the reduced wadge budget this season and so don't be expecting this to improve until after the redevelopment when hopefully the clubs turnover will increase

Pretty sure there's always been a wage cap in League Two. Has never stopped clubs exceding it though ala Peterborough, Crawley, Fleetwood and us in 2005...
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 17:54:55 pm »

Right, and without that injury you still think he'd have ended up in Conf. North? Port Vale just having him on were they? If Liam D!ckinson was fully fit, he'd undoubtedly be on the higher end of the payscale.

No, we'd have signed him on £550 a week with his pre-existing ankle injury, and then he would have spent half the season on the physio's bench.  Now who does that remind me of but with an extra digit in his weekly wage??

BTW, the wage cap was voluntary.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 17:55:18 pm »

Nine players came in. Eleven players were shipped out. That's a squad size deficit of two.

However, of that eleven were Turnbull, Nana and Wilson. A combined total appearences of 0 last season. This to me suggests they weren't part of the squad, and were instead just extra deadweight on the wage-bill.

So, effectively we lost eight squad players last season;

Akinfenwa -> Replaced by Blyth. [short-term fix]
Nicholls -> Replaced by Matt Duke.
Johnson -> Replaced by Amankwaah.
Harding -> Replaced by Carter.
Guttridge -> Replaced by Deegan.
Robinson -> Replaced by Morris.
Carlisle -> Replaced by Heath.
Moult -> Replaced by Hooper.

+ Emerton who is effectively an extra body.

Now of that lot, besides Akinfenwa, I'm struggling to see a significant difference in costs. If Boothroyd was forced to release Bayo, without being allowed to use the money for a replacement, I'd agree with your appraisal. But, if thats the case, then why was D!ckinson a trialist? Unless it was a PR exercise, then there was a clear attempt to bring in someone who'd be on similar money.

Blyth was only brought in once D!ckinson was injured, by which time there was absolutely no other strikers available of the same standard. To me, this is a more a failure of Boothroyd for leaving it far too late in the window.

We'd need to be in the Championship to fill a 10k stadium. Ain't gunna happen. Honestly have no idea why we're expanding the seats, if we don't even sell-out Play-Off and derby games, whats the incentive? Waste of investment, may as well use it on something that will generate revenue.

The waste that you refer to is precisely what I'm referring to. You are correct we did have a number of high earners not contributing. However in your like for like replacements list, Heath is probably on around 1k a week less than CC, Robinson was on 'mega money', Bayo circa 2k a week. It's not hard to see that the current squad is likely be costing around 200-250k less pa even when you factor in that the likes of Duke and Collins are probably more expensive than Nicholls and what Collins was earning last season.

If you believe we are better for it then that's another subject. I am just making the point that as things stand it is clear that the cuts were significant for the level we are at. If Aidy had another 250k to play with I have no doubt that he would assemble a team at least good enough for a playoff challenge and one which could cover injuries. In a squad of 20, the law of a averages will ensure that you have on average 3 or 4 out at any one given time...we have been a tad unlucky that our injuries have kicked in so early in the season but it could be worse, at least they are spread across different positions.

Report Spam   Logged
Iest_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 18:05:40 pm »

Pretty sure there's always been a wage cap in League Two. Has never stopped clubs exceding it though ala Peterborough, Crawley, Fleetwood and us in 2005...

There was a gentlemanly agreement in place as preparation but I'm pretty sure this is the first season where there's a punishment in place but I'm happy to be proved wrong
Report Spam   Logged

I can't think of anything funny to write here
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 18:11:56 pm »

Can anyone explain why there have been budget cuts this season?
Lots of unbudgeted extra income(play offs,sponsorship,groundshare).

It's been stated that once the stadium is upgraded the squad will be invested in.
Why are we waiting for this to happen before improving the on field side of things.
Surely you'd invest now get decent players and fill the 7000 seats before redeveloping and kicking on again.
It's a big ask to suddenly expect to more than double the crowd overnight by waiting until the redevelopment is completed and then buying some quality and hoping 10000 people attend.
It would surely be wiser to start now and gradually improve the onfield quality and with it attendancies.
I know that by having executive boxes etc we should get a higher turnover but will it make for higher attendancies overnight.
Personally i don't think so.
By investing now your kick starting a project that will hopefully see a full redeveloped stadium.
I just can't see another 6000 fans turning up on the back of the current fare unless a kick start is enabled prior to the redevelopment.
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 18:45:26 pm »

The life blood of any club is the fans coming through the gate, its this that dictates the player budget, so it would make sense to further promote the club within the community.
The last home game attracted just 3700 home fans which equates to just 1.7% of the town and 0.4 of the counties population, Burnley and Blackburn have over 15% turn up regularly.
Last season the club did an excellent job attracting large numbers of youngsters, I seriously hope this good work is continued this year and expanded further.
Maybe the club could look in to a tickets bought pledge, where if 3000 match day tickets purchased at say £15 and £10 concessions they will repeat it the following game. If properly promoted might catch on.
As for the playing squad, this side will get to the playoffs at least, so get behind them.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 18:52:09 pm »

I've said this before, but my conclusion is that DC has effectively written off this season and promised AB that the budget will increase next year after the redevelopment kicks in.

All the evidence, from the Cov rental agreement to the budget cuts to minor things like the friendly with Pooh and the signing of Kashif 'Slowe MK2' Saddiqi all point to a fairly desperate urge to raise revenue to drive the redevelopment and start paying off the loan, even if that comes at the expense of short term progress on the field.

I think both DC and AB are playing the long game (hence AB's bigging up of the prospects of Ivan Toney in his latest post-match interview). Time will tell whether it all pays off.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 21:04:10 pm »

Are we expected to continue supporting the club week by week with no product of success. If so that will explain the dwindling crowds and it will take a mammoth effort to get them back. You also lose the youngsters who would be the new blood, it was very apparent in the MK crowd tat they had arge numbers of kids turning up with parents, far more evident than in our support, I know of at least two families who live in Northampton who now follow MK!
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 23:13:44 pm »

Well given that we managed a Wembley final, and are relatively well supported by League 2 standards, I should imagine our turnover measures up fairly well against most other League 2 sides.
And don't forget this years turnover will be bolstered by the Coventry money.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 23:22:52 pm »

I've said this before, but my conclusion is that DC has effectively written off this season and promised AB that the budget will increase next year after the redevelopment kicks in.

All the evidence, from the Cov rental agreement to the budget cuts to minor things like the friendly with Pooh and the signing of Kashif 'Slowe MK2' Saddiqi all point to a fairly desperate urge to raise revenue to drive the redevelopment and start paying off the loan, even if that comes at the expense of short term progress on the field.

I think both DC and AB are playing the long game (hence AB's bigging up of the prospects of Ivan Toney in his latest post-match interview). Time will tell whether it all pays off.

The problem with this approach is that it risks alienating supporters, certainly without any clear statement of intent from within the club. Promises have been made with regards to improving the product/squad, but if we struggle this season then the crowds aren't going to believe next years pre-season hype, and rush to buy tickets in an expanded Sixfields.

I said before a ball was kicked, and I stand by it, that any sniff of success for League 1 Coventry will drag some of the casual fans away. It may be a switch of allegiance that a perennially struggling League 2 club can't easily recover.

Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »

Well given that we managed a Wembley final, and are relatively well supported by League 2 standards, I should imagine our turnover measures up fairly well against most other League 2 sides.
And don't forget this years turnover will be bolstered by the Coventry money.

Agreed. I would have thought our turnover would be quite a bit higher than Fleetwood's for instance with their sub-3000 attendances. Hasn't stopped them splashing the cash on Cresswell et al thought. Perhaps they've broken the rules and are willing to pay the penalty.

As you say, the problem is that expectations have been raised and then haven't been met. I understand the need to hype things up in order to get the season ticket sales in, but this year has taken that to an extreme. The next open forum (if there is one) will be very interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 14:41:14 pm »

Are we expected to continue supporting the club week by week with no product of success. If so that will explain the dwindling crowds and it will take a mammoth effort to get them back. You also lose the youngsters who would be the new blood, it was very apparent in the MK crowd tat they had arge numbers of kids turning up with parents, far more evident than in our support, I know of at least two families who live in Northampton who now follow MK!

How long have you supported the Cobblers? What do you define as success?

If getting to Wembley last season isn't enough for you, I wouldn't bother anymore to be honest mate.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 15:06:00 pm »

complete and utter tosh!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest48

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 18:06:05 pm »

The next open forum (if there is one) will be very interesting.
Watch this space  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 20:04:10 pm »

I'd imagine that all of the people posing questions about budgets etc will be attending the imminent open forum with DC to ask the man himself.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 20:07:28 pm »

I'd imagine that all of the people posing questions about budgets etc will be attending the imminent open forum with DC to ask the man himself.

lets hope so  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: