The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 13:22:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer Transfer Rumours

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Transfer Rumours  (Read 150141 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1780 on: August 09, 2013, 14:54:48 pm »

By opposite if you mean increased attendances I hope your right but I don't see it myself.

Slightly negative I admit but doomsday soothsayer is a slight over reaction I don't think its the end by any means but I can see why there's negativity around the club at the moment and in my opinion it could have or some of it could have been avoided with the correct PR handling.

As I say only an opinion and I will look forward to breakfast in the morning....

and....................
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1781 on: August 09, 2013, 15:02:23 pm »

I think if you are including the last 60 years you will find that we were quite adventurous going up from the old 4th and 3rd divisions when Holton and Ashworth scored goals for fun.

your clearly forgetting the cloggers we had : Branston, Kurila , Foley , Everitt  etc  Leck and Reid were hardly adventurous either. If I remember rightly we battered teams into submission and then the likes of Brown, Ashworth and Holton applied the coup de grace..........one such game was at Brighton were we eventually won 5-1.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Blackadder

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1782 on: August 09, 2013, 17:09:33 pm »

and....................
Breakfast was good thanks. Weetabix this morning with the kids on holiday its surprising what choice you have in the morning!

Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 09, 2013, 17:14:59 pm »

Foley, Leck and Kiernan were very composed, elegant and creative players. Anyway, I'm happy that 100 + goals can be termed 'adventurous, as in our Div 3 championship year.
Report Spam   Logged
oop_north

« Reply #1784 on: August 17, 2013, 22:27:49 pm »

I wonder if Oxford have bid for Hackett, yet....

Huh?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 18, 2013, 09:00:04 am »

I'd be surprised if Hackett wasn't sold to Oxford before the window closes.

He is out of contract at the end of the season(who isn't) so any bid for him will be accepted I'd assume.

He is an Oxford lad and by the looks of it Oxford are having a right go at promotion this season.

I'd be sad to see him go as he is one of only a couple of decent players we have left at the club.

At the end of the day it'd be a good move for him and the club could generate some much needed cash to keep the club going (they would recieve nothing at the end of the season).

I wouldn't want to see Hackett leave but if any bid comes in I think he will be off.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1786 on: August 18, 2013, 09:31:13 am »

He is out of contract at the end of the season(who isn't) so any bid for him will be accepted I'd assume.

He is an Oxford lad and by the looks of it Oxford are having a right go at promotion this season.

I'd be sad to see him go as he is one of only a couple of decent players we have left at the club.

At the end of the day it'd be a good move for him and the club could generate some much needed cash to keep the club going (they would recieve nothing at the end of the season).

I wouldn't want to see Hackett leave but if any bid comes in I think he will be off.

Don't see any point in letting Hackett go, any fee would be minimal and just absorbed into the running of the club. Normally letting one of your better players and in our case one of very few players who can score goals leave would result in poorer pegrormances, a lower finishing league position, lower attendances and chances are the decreased revenue from this would more than out way a small transfer fee.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #1787 on: August 18, 2013, 19:50:31 pm »

Don't get too excited by Oxford's start, they won their first three league games last season.

Hackett offered himself to Oxford before signing for us, their coaching staff begged Wilder to sign him but as he hadn't heard of him he stubbornly refused. Wycombe couldn't afford the wages and Swindon weren't interested.

Considering where Hackett lives in Oxfordshire it's not much longer travel to Sixfields than the Kassam. Anyway I would be surprised if Hackett does go back to Oxford, he's considered injury prone and at 30 with speed as his major asset he's not got many years left to offer.
Report Spam   Logged
marcmewordz

« Reply #1788 on: August 18, 2013, 21:02:05 pm »

Quick new flash.........

the club might sign someone in the next ten years,
not sure who,
but they might not be a free/released(cos their crap) injury prone/has been.

so hold ya breath in excitement..................

Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #1789 on: August 18, 2013, 21:22:04 pm »

Do you have any evidence of this at all (other than your barely concealed excitement at the possibility of this happening)?

Sometimes I think people get a perverse kick out of thinking about other clubs being interested in our players. You also see it with the annual Hornby to Manchester City/Herbert to Watford type of rubbish.

Losing our best players, for any fee, is never something to get excited about as it is never re-invested in the team. Even if Oxford were interested (which I doubt very much given their already significant expenditure this summer), it would be a very stupid PR move to lose our best attacking player to a local rival.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:57 am »

Do you have any evidence of this at all (other than your barely concealed excitement at the possibility of this happening)?

Sometimes I think people get a perverse kick out of thinking about other clubs being interested in our players. You also see it with the annual Hornby to Manchester City/Herbert to Watford type of rubbish.

Losing our best players, for any fee, is never something to get excited about as it is never re-invested in the team. Even if Oxford were interested (which I doubt very much given their already significant expenditure this summer), it would be a very stupid PR move to lose our best attacking player to a local rival.

While I agree with your assessment, I would point out that, as a club, we aren't beyond 'stupid PR moves.' Evil
I'd rather be thinking about us bringing some quality into the squad, instead of further watering down the talent pool.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1791 on: August 20, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »

Quick new flash.........
the club might sign someone in the next ten years,
not sure who,
but they might not be a free/released(cos their crap) injury prone/has been.
so hold ya breath in excitement..................

Please name a league two team who has brought a striker for a fee who is a proven goal scorer in the leagues above who is not a has been. I'm pretty sure you made this up in your mind.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: