The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:15:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Relegation

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relegation  (Read 1470 times)
DustCobb

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 06, 2010, 13:34:11 pm »

Is a real possibility this season imo. Nothing in the league games has convinced me otherwise...it is a pretty serious situation.

I'd also wager £100 that Sammo won't be manager at the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 13:40:37 pm »

Is a real possibility this season imo. Nothing in the league games has convinced me otherwise...it is a pretty serious situation.

Go on then.... Grin

I meant for you to put it on at the bookies, not with me... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
supajama

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 14:20:20 pm »

We are in no way one of the worst two teams in this league, so we'll be ok. Granted, we STILL need a targetman and to learn how to defend corners/set pieces but it ain't too bad. We need consistency as the performance against Chesterfield was majestic but against Macc it was woeful.
Just hope Guinan goes this week to free up his large salary Mr Gray so kindly gave him......
Report Spam   Logged
4everdelayed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 14:38:07 pm »

3 wins in the last 17 league games, that is Stuart Gray-esque form. I'll give it a couple more months before anything can really be predicted though, if we're in deep s*** in December action will need to be taken regardless of how much of a legend Sammo is.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 14:59:59 pm »

We are in no way one of the worst two teams in this league, so we'll be ok. Granted, we STILL need a targetman and to learn how to defend corners/set pieces but it ain't too bad. We need consistency as the performance against Chesterfield was majestic but against Macc it was woeful.
Just hope Guinan goes this week to free up his large salary Mr Gray so kindly gave him......

We'll be ok!!!
I bet the fans of Cambridge, Oxford, Luton, Lincoln, Colchester, Darlington, York, Kidderminster, Mansfield, Wrexham etc etc etc all said that too!!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 15:13:36 pm »

I think it's too early to talk about relegation: we were in a similar position last year, and managed to turn things round.

However, what worries me is that little or no progress has been made since last year - despite all the talk about making a good start. I'm not sure that Sammo has a long term strategy to get us out of this division. His decisions seem to be pretty much spur-of-the-moment.

The cup results have bought him some time. The question is: how much?
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 23:12:50 pm »

I think it's too early to talk about relegation: we were in a similar position last year, and managed to turn things round.

However, what worries me is that little or no progress has been made since last year - despite all the talk about making a good start. I'm not sure that Sammo has a long term strategy to get us out of this division. His decisions seem to be pretty much spur-of-the-moment.

The cup results have bought him some time. The question is: how much?

We are a much inferior team to last year!
We have made no progress and have gone backwards with the smaller budget
The Cup run just clouds the issue.....as great an experience as it has been, none the less.
We need to concentrate on the league before losing and drawing becomes an ingrained habit!
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
guest49

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 06:00:21 am »

We're too good to go down  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:30 am »

We're too good to go down  Tongue

So was the Titanic.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:12:45 am »

Hold on, I thought that before the Macclesfield game that we were going to win more than we lose, that we have a young, talented squad, and that we were playing some of the best football in years. How have people's moods swung so massively from 'I'm getting excited about this team, why aren't the crowds coming out to see this wonderful fooball' to, 'OH GOD NO, A DECADE OF NON-LEAGUE LOOMING' in just the space of one game.

There are only two places in this league that lead to relegation. It's probably the easiest league to escape from being relegated. I know Macclesfield was a s***, s*** game, but the difference in reactions between now and then are almost schizophrenic. I mean, you saw the Bradford team right? We positively outplayed one of the favourites for automatic. And not mentioning the bigger heads we've already got.

We lack consistency, but with this redicously young team confidence is everything. We played the best football in years after McKay equalised at Anfield, and we did that until we got sucker-punched at Chesterfield. If we get a goal, then the confidence will come straight back in, and we'll start to play decent football again. We need some stabilising heads in the team more than anything - someone to make the team play even when things go against us. And we also need someone to work on set-plays. Get those things done, and we'll be more than fine.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:14 am »

Oh come on, all you depressives! Sammo will still be manager at the end of the season , we won't be relegated, and the team is most certainly more skilfull and able than it was at this time last year.
However, I'm not wearing claret-tinted spectacles. Clearly the players need to wise-up to scrabbling for points in league Two - I'd agree that if we don't do this we would be relegated, but there's enough reality in the club to make certain that the right things get done.

We were tactically daft last week by not realising that our makeshift system of one striker and two advanced midfielders would soon be rumbled and snuffed out. So Sammo can take some blame for not having a decent plan B. Like the rest of us, he learns from his mistakes so he'll be stronger for it. The players, whatever they may say, obviously expected a relatively easy ride but were hit by a team with determination. Lesson number two goes to them, hopefully they won't be so spineless again and will learn to scrap and fight instead of looking bewildered, boys must become men, and quickly!
If we're to stabilise ourselves, we must be able to run a two-striker system as well as what we're currently trying. This is where it gets difficult  because the jury is out on whether or not we have the right people in the squad to do this. If you look at our "strikers", McKay is a number 2, not a number 1...he needs to feed off a tall speedy nasty man who creates fear and havoc. At the moment from what we've seen, Guinan, Herbert, Harris and McKenzie have not proved they are that person, and Purcell is crocked for the season. I'd add that of the four fit strikers I mentioned there, McKenzie must at least be allowed to get a few full games under his belt to prove things one way or the other, and Harris may deserve a final chance, even though I must be honest and say that I don't think he has what it takes but would love to be proved wrong. If we can't make it work - and soon - with the players we have, then it's up to the chairman to decide whether or not he can find the money to get hold of an accepted striker. If he won't, then we must struggle on to seek a solution from within, and that will make it a difficult season - however, not a relegation one.
Final thought:- with Davis, Thornton, Jacobs, Osman and Wedderburn as potentially highly talented players way above what is normally in League 2, plus Johnson, Holt, McKay, Dunn, Gilligan, Tozer, Rodgers, Beckwith and Hall who are average or above for our division, and McKenzie still to get a proper chance, Konstantinou who may well make it, plus Herbert if he can sort himself out, it actually is a squad with massive potential. Potential is of course useless if not realised, but I think they can do it. Notice, however, in all that list the one area of massive weakness is up front, and I repeat that if we can't get it sorted from within very soon, we MUST splash some cash or settle for a mundane season.
Report Spam   Logged
4everdelayed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:43:02 am »

Just to play devil's advocate a bit here, we've seen what.. two genuinely good performances from the side in our first ten league games. One against a massively out of form Bradford side who, if they stick with Taylor, will almost certainly be in a relegation struggle this season, their negative tactics played straight into our hands and they played a center-back up front (literally, a reversed Harris was leading their forward line). The other, we played good football for 70 or so minutes before throwing away a 1-0 lead to a team that haven't won an away game in the league since last March, only managing one goal in the process after dominating most of the game.

Is playing good football good enough when nobody is sticking the ball in the net? McKay is a good option at this level, though clearly too inexperienced to consistently lead the front line all on his own, he knows where the net is at least. Will McKenzie be given the chance to prove himself or just flounder in substitute cameo appearances like O'Flynn? Can we honestly say that Guinan and Harris have a future at the club?

I do agree that we are clearly a confidence team, you only need to look at our run of form last season from January to March, but that itself is the danger, runs like that won't come around every season and we can't afford to be so complacent early on and rely on the 'well, we're clearly too good to go down so...' excuse. If we do that, we will find ourselves in serious trouble, regardless of how anyone tries to sugarcoat our performances.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:24 am »

we MUST splash some cash or settle for a mundane season.

I 'd settle for a mundane season, much better than this relegation fight we've found ourselves in.
Report Spam   Logged
Positively Mad Mark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 17:12:58 pm »

I'll start worrying after Christmas.
Report Spam   Logged
auntie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 18:37:03 pm »

I might raid the meds cabinet if we lose tomorrow. some good stuff in there. hell, why wait 'til tomorrow.

I will eat bingers' unwashed speedos if we get relegated (in private).
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 23:28:03 pm »

I'm not in the least worried. I would suggest we are one of the 'big four' of the division. So it's hardly likely anything could possibly go wrong, surely?
Report Spam   Logged
Keep Fit UK

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 00:59:36 am »

I though this before, but then our manager was the problem and i was glad to see Gray go. Sammo is still learning the game from a managers point, and we simply have to give him time. He seems to be the Benitez of div 2 where he cant do wrong in the cup but the league is his downfall. would you risk changing manager now?? do the players have to take some responsibility? Dont forget Crosby is very experienced and helps shape the team. Personally id be happy to stick with Sammo/Crosby for another few seasons(even in this division) if it meant they could establish us as a solid team and take us up the leagues.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 07:52:16 am »

Personally id be happy to stick with Sammo/Crosby for another few seasons(even in this division) if it meant they could establish us as a solid team and take us up the leagues.

If Sammo doesn't improve on last season's finishing position, he'll be sacked, it's as simple as that. As for being happy to stay in this division for "a few seasons" I suggest you are on your own there.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:08 am »

Can we afford to sack Sammo?  Do we really want to end up having to have loads of managers on our payroll.

Giving an unproven manager 3 years contract must rank up their with pieces of lack of business acumen by NTFC
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: