The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:35:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

A bit of nostalgia - a rumble at Chesterfield

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of nostalgia - a rumble at Chesterfield  (Read 1764 times)
SeanODonovan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: October 13, 2010, 16:05:55 pm »

Someone has put this news report on youtube. It's the final match of the 1993/94 season Chesterfield v Northampton. A "bit of history" between the clubs over the years lead to this .......
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 18:10:16 pm »

when they pitch invaded, someone at the front of the away end just chinned a steward out of nowhere. he must of been 60 (the steward). what a hard nut to do that
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 18:42:46 pm »

All this was clearly predictable and pre-planned and yet Chesterfield officials refused to have any Police at the ground at the "kick off".......

Come the inevitable Football League tribunal and CFC conveniently then lost the video tape and the club video recorder was unusable!
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 19:37:31 pm »

I was at this game.
We lost 4-0 and if results had gone wrong in the conference (Kettering had to win by 5 and Kidderminster had to lose or something) we were down. Luckily Kidderminster won the conference and as their ground was cack we stayed up. I think it was the same day Everton were 2 nil down and staring relegation in the face and then Hans Segers strangely let 3 goals in for Wimbledon and Everton stayed up winning 3-2.

Back to this game, Barnwell spoke over the tannoy appealing for calm. Some big fat bloke went charging from our end down to the Chesterfield lot to give it large and came back with a nice wound where the corner flag had been jabbed into his forehead.
It was an awful game. Funnily enough I came across the programme for this match last week, it had a picture of Sean Dyche on the front with hair and no goatee on the front from his younger days playing for them.

I think Warren Patmore may have played in this game and had our only half chance firing well wide.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 20:12:14 pm »

Yes, yes..Oxford Utd forum..Yellows forum also posted Chesterfield 94 on their site..they're very twitchy after trouble and disorder in their last two home games (Port Vale / Aldershot)..a lot of their fans want Priory pub next to Kassam (scene of hassle v Vale) to be 'home' only. I've assured Tim (Landlord) that Northampton will not be bringing lads (NAT) or otherwise...they're reciprocating with open arms and bottled real ales and scrumpy, for those of us that think lager is sh*te!!!

Back to Chesterfield..feud..started by Spires in 84..coming onto Hotel End early..and taking liberties...return game at Saltergate..I remember well..Feb 4th 1984..saw a massive mob of Northampton totally ransacking the place..good imo!
What followed over the following seven or eight seasons..was Northampton basically finishing the 'feud'..culminating in the above events back in 1994! Hinckley and West Brom.also there that day to witness the seventies-esq..rumble! Wink
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 20:14:04 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
telboy

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 20:27:30 pm »

still got the video somewhere , gary mabee done one and it has no audio . sure the police were to have a copy !! it never got finished audio wise or i got the unedited version . As for Oxford they aint exactly angels themselves are they . but then hopefully any trouble will be kept away from the ground and the fans supporting the teams can support in good spirits and safely .
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 20:43:17 pm »

still got the video somewhere , gary mabee done one and it has no audio . sure the police were to have a copy !! it never got finished audio wise or i got the unedited version . As for Oxford they aint exactly angels themselves are they . but then hopefully any trouble will be kept away from the ground and the fans supporting the teams can support in good spirits and safely .

The landlord of the Priory has banned their youth firm...causing controversy...but guy seems like top boy tbh...knows their SMHS older lads...but ensures good relaxed time for Cobblers fans. He said in post ontheir forum, that Northampton caused no probs when '' they had thousands around the joint".

Still, excellent pubs in Oxford city centre!

Regards Chesterfield vid...what a twitch from Anglia presenter! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
telboy

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 20:56:57 pm »

they smhs once played a blinder taking up a corporate suit in the club , think the club thought it was sth midlands heating services or something along them lines , surely the stone islans dinner suits would have give the game away . anyway that was then lol . personally always had good time in oxford . anyone see that shark poking out through the roof of a house . down a side road from the old ground !! bizaar it was
Report Spam   Logged
Biscuit Barrel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 21:19:07 pm »

anyone see that shark poking out through the roof of a house . down a side road from the old ground !! bizaar it was

Still there now.
the house was owned by an eccentric bloke who stuck the shark out of his roof.
When the planners deemed it illegal, he reinforced the roofline and got planning approval and now is a legal tourist attraction.
Report Spam   Logged

You can't polish a turd........but you can roll it in glitter
DavCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 08:00:34 am »

I was a lot slimmer then....
Grin

I wasn't.....bastard fence.
Report Spam   Logged
Realale

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09:07 am »

Back to Chesterfield..feud..started by Spires in 84..coming onto Hotel End early..and taking liberties...
I remember that, me and my cousin were 14 then and stood over by the floodlights when the Chesterfield lot came past us waving knives about, so being curious teenagers we decided to follow them till my Dad grabbed me and took us down the front out of the way. What did happen to them in the end?
Report Spam   Logged

Who ya gonna call, Scousebusters!!
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:41:43 am »

I've assured Tim (Landlord) that Northampton will not be bringing lads (NAT) or otherwise...they're reciprocating with open arms and bottled real ales and scrumpy, for those of us that think lager is sh*te!!!

Whilst it is normally ok at Oxford and that pub is convenient why would you offer reassurances of no lads travelling or any trouble ?
Not hoping for any is one thing but to offer assurances is another. Closer games always have more likelihood of some grief unless you are the Don and control these things?!

Back to Chesterfield. This carried on for years and was probably the worst kept secret around town at the time. Wasn't it Chesterfield that got annihilated at The King Billy as well?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
guest143

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:30 am »

Back to Chesterfield. This carried on for years and was probably the worst kept secret around town at the time. Wasn't it Chesterfield that got annihilated at The King Billy as well?
From what Iv read in the past The King Billy incident was Shrewsbury
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 14:03:14 pm »

Yes you're right it was Shrewsbury. A friend spent some time in Glen Parva as a result!

It's not big or clever!
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 17:40:13 pm »

This was my first ever away game! A lively introduction to following the Cobblers...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 22:47:18 pm »

Whilst it is normally ok at Oxford and that pub is convenient why would you offer reassurances of no lads travelling or any trouble ?
Not hoping for any is one thing but to offer assurances is another. Closer games always have more likelihood of some grief unless you are the Don and control these things?!

Zen...basically..because I know..OK?...Point two..No it wasn't Chesterfield anihlated in the King Billy...It was Shrewsbury EBF..they weren't anhilated..put up a defence...Keep up! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 22:50:17 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 22:52:44 pm »

they smhs once played a blinder taking up a corporate suit in the club , think the club thought it was sth midlands heating services or something along them lines , surely the stone islans dinner suits would have give the game away . anyway that was then lol . personally always had good time in oxford . anyone see that shark poking out through the roof of a house . down a side road from the old ground !! bizaar it was

Shark still there...up in Headington, fella! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 07:01:50 am »

It was Shrewsbury EBF..they weren't anhilated..put up a defence...Keep up! Roll Eyes

Does this mean you got twatted? Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:58 am »

I went to the one in '84. I seem to remember drinking 2 cans of Special Brew on the coach there that but in those days they weren't equipped with toilets. I was seconds away from pissing myself but jumped over a wall when the coach got to the ground and had the best piss of my life in front of loads of cops. They didn't seem to mind though. Sadly I still drink that stuff. Special Brew that is, not urine. It makes your hair fall out apparently.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08:15 am »

I went to the one in '84. I seem to remember drinking 2 cans of Special Brew on the coach there that but in those days they weren't equipped with toilets. I was seconds away from pissing myself but jumped over a wall when the coach got to the ground and had the best piss of my life in front of loads of cops. They didn't seem to mind though. Sadly I still drink that stuff. Special Brew that is, not urine. It makes your hair fall out apparently.

What, the urine?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: