The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:42:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Disappearing Punters?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappearing Punters?  (Read 117004 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« on: October 03, 2013, 13:08:06 pm »

A number of posters on here and the Chronic site keep saying that the attendances are reducing game on game "200 down on our last match" etc..

Newport - 3775
Torquay - 3836
Scunny  - 3726
Exeter   - 3778
Morec    - 3748

Seems that they are holding up for now, which takes away one reason for a managerial change, but for how long?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Baby Bear

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 13:43:53 pm »

Unless we budgeted for a bigger crowd, and wembley/ the dire football on show for much of last season, had already seen the crowds begin to dwindle, long before this season began.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 13:57:14 pm »

Do these figures take into account away fans? Because I think we've only Hartlepool/Plymouth to go for the long-distance travellers - and I suspect they will be better supported than those that have been here before.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 14:00:14 pm »

I see that against our 4150 (ish) average last season but those would have decided before the season started, not since.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 14:02:53 pm by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 14:01:03 pm »

Do these figures take into account away fans? Because I think we've only Hartlepool/Plymouth to go for the long-distance travellers - and I suspect they will be better supported than those that have been here before.

They are the home fans only figures
Report Spam   Logged

clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 15:06:55 pm »

When I first started watching NTFC, around 2000 and up until c.2007/8 if we got a crowd of less than 5,000 for a home game it was considered unusual.

I appreciate the economy has tanked significantly since then, but we've gone backwards to such an extent since then that 4,000 is now considered par.
Report Spam   Logged
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 16:13:26 pm »

When I first started watching NTFC, around 2000 and up until c.2007/8 if we got a crowd of less than 5,000 for a home game it was considered unusual.

I appreciate the economy has tanked significantly since then, but we've gone backwards to such an extent since then that 4,000 is now considered par.

Don't forget the MKDons factor - that is the reason for much of reduction.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 16:15:02 pm by super-si » Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 16:51:05 pm »

What to NTFC need to break even is it 5000?
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 20:00:05 pm »

Unless we budgeted for a bigger crowd, and wembley/ the dire football on show for much of last season, had already seen the crowds begin to dwindle, long before this season began.
People will watch a winning team no matter how they play. See Atkins and the regular 6000+ crowds.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 20:14:52 pm »

Don't forget the MKDons factor - that is the reason for much of reduction.

Get real! The MK Dongs factor is as insignificant as MK Dongs themselves!

Try a dire over-priced match day experience at Sixfields as a factor!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 20:33:16 pm »

As the Bear says, people had already made their minds up post Wembley and last season in general. There has NEVER been a season I have been looking forward to less than this one. Probably mainly driven by the fact that I don't care about football in general as much these days, but also from the uninspiring end to 2012-2013 and close season. I've been once this season and would usually have missed one game by now.

I personally don't think the crowds will drop a lot lower than they are now, maybe a couple of hundred or so. A new manager would bring a couple of hundred back for a game or two, depending the fare on offer.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 21:39:04 pm »

The Wembley showing killed us, and I think pretty much all of us felt that at the time. I had never been so downbeat on the eve of a football season, Im sure I started a thread about it being the most uninspiring pre-season ever! And it was. Unfortunately that pre-season has carried into the season, we just need to somehow get through this patch and get things moving again. At some point we will for sure.

Back to this week and its Friday tomorrow and still no sign of the coveted striker or midfielder that we so desperately need to give us a chance! Im just not convinced that the owner and the manager are seeing things like 90% plus of the fans are!!
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 21:39:31 pm »

i remember thinking around this time last year after the 4-0 loss at Barnet "we are f***ed".  we looked a bang average side then, but some how A.B TURNED THINGS AROUND. clearly he is a slow burner that does, in the end get it right... i am sticking with him. UTC..
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 21:50:07 pm »

People will watch a winning team no matter how they play. See Atkins and the regular 6000+ crowds.

And to a certain extent people will watch decent football even if the team is losing a few games along the way. The big problem is when you have a team who are nether winning nor entertaining. Theres plenty of other distractions worthy of soneones hard earned cash if this is the case!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 22:46:36 pm »

Just a comparison, look back at last season, the first 5 home games were as follows....

Rotherham 3545
Southend 4106
Wimbledon 3797
Chesterfield  4095
Gillingham  3260

The Gillingham game was on a Tuesday night (hence the low gate), but gates were much more variable last season weren't they? 18863 home fans in the first five this season, 18803 for the first five last season. So you could say we've picked up 12 extra fans per game this season.....I guess that's what a successful season brings you!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:27 am »

Get real! The MK ****s factor is as insignificant as MK ****s themselves!

Try a dire over-priced match day experience at Sixfields as a factor!

Okay Coolcat...how many who live near MK do you think decided that Dons were their local team instead of Cobblers or Luton...3? 10? Yes of course there are stay aways coz they don't like it...but not 1200 odd. Despite the results this season, the football at Sixfields has been more entertaining than last season...except Morecambe perhaps
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:11:59 am »

I don't think it's the football, the results or anything in particular why the gates are down from a few years ago.
I also don't think it money because you can't get people to go to the Cobblers for free these days! Back in the 90's when we got to Wenbley we took double the fans than we did this year and those fans were 'up for it' on the day.

My belief is that over time the club has simply stagnated and until the redevelopment occurs and some cash is spent on some 'exiting signings' it's going to remain 'dig in time'. Today is for us hard core, tomorrow will be for the fair weather and the floaters.
And that's the way it is! No body in particularly is to blame, the club
Has sufferered simila pro-longed spells in the past.

There is zero buzz on match days, when we had those 2 good years under Atkins the atmosphere at sixfields was fantastic and even quite intimidating. The redevelopment though really is a case of seeing is believing because it's dragged on so long. Even now Every month we here that plans will be shown in 2 weeks! This season we've simply just got to stay a football league side...
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:45 am »

You're right, Drilling, in all you say - we often cannot use our tickets because of work or being away, but friends just burst out laughing if I ask if they want them! So really, price at this stage is not an issue.

Our public image as a football club is not good, the Wembley debacle simply re-inforced that perception of us being serial losers, and it lost us a lot of friends who could have been won over by a fighting display and tactics and selection that made some sort of sense. It was instead a total disaster and Boothroyd was out of his depth, also most of last year's football was numbingly unattractive. We threw away automatic promotion with staggering tactical incompetence.

The unpreparedness for the new season has been a nightmare for which Boothroyd is largely responsible. It isn't sacking time, but it's "Get it right pretty damn quick" time or he's a dead duck. If he can't do that then we go back another two years in playing terms and he's out on  his *rse and we're left with a squad, most of which no sensible manager will want. There are massive dragging-on financial implications in that. Only time will show whether Boothroyd has the mettle to get it working properly. I think he can but it isn't a certainty.

So, that all seems totally depressive, BUT I think the club is well run off the field and with expansion just a short time away there's lots to look forward to. I am firm in my belief that we will become a Championship club within reasonable time, and that we WILL then fill 10,000 seats and I can turn round and say "Told you so!".
The present hurdle has to be jumped, however, and if it meant kicking out Boothroyd, and Cardoza taking a punt with a bit more money to support a new man then it has to be. Throwing in the towel with most of the fight won would be daft, and would also be financial suicide to let it happen.
The preferred route to success will be Boothroyd getting it right.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »

Just a comparison, look back at last season, the first 5 home games were as follows....

Rotherham 3545
Southend 4106
Wimbledon 3797
Chesterfield  4095
Gillingham  3260

The Gillingham game was on a Tuesday night (hence the low gate), but gates were much more variable last season weren't they? 18863 home fans in the first five this season, 18803 for the first five last season. So you could say we've picked up 12 extra fans per game this season.....I guess that's what a successful season brings you!!  Wink

The Rotherham game was also on a Tuesday night.  Indeed all our lowest ever home attendances have all been Tuesday night fixtures; fortunately we don't have a home nidweek fixture this year, otherwise I could easily envisage a sub-3000 league gate for the first time especially on a freezing cold evening.  Rochdale on 28th January next year looks like a possibility....against whom I think we saw our first ever sub 4000 league gate at Sixfields.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 14:48:10 pm »

The sad thing is I think our defence is getting near being sorted now, but how can you win games without a decent goalscorer? I fear a 1-0 loss against the Wombles tomorrow and another dejected trudge back through the gates.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: