The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 17:53:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Emergancy board meeting

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergancy board meeting  (Read 8222 times)
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

This is surely a key week or so....coming up.

Lose at Oxford, out of the Cup at Ipswich and the prospect of a Gillingham side that hasn't won away for ages ( with our record of arresting such bad runs).....

Followed by a trip to Lincoln with Tilson their new Manager and then the leaders Port Vale at home.

I reckon our best chance is against the Vale.

After this little spell  we will need an Emergency Board meeting.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »

So there wasn't an emergency board meeting and it was total bollocks? There's a surprise
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2010, 13:30:28 pm »

So there wasn't an emergency board meeting and it was total bollocks? There's a surprise

At what point did you believe there was one?
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2010, 13:38:45 pm »

Here you go Steve, the definition of hindsight in the Oxford dictionay. Note the word, AFTER!

The ability to understand, after something has happened, what should have been done or what caused the event

Hindsight is the perfect sixth sense.

It is your right to make a few mistakes. If people can't accept your imperfections, that's their fault.
Failure is not the falling down but the staying down.

Hopefully we are learning from the mistakes and will soon be on our way back up.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2010, 13:47:58 pm »

we're just going through a bit of a blip in the league.

4 wins in 23 league games isn't what I'd call a bit of a blip!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
TbananaG

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2010, 13:49:18 pm »

Yeah, well, quite a big blip, I admit!
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2010, 15:43:14 pm »

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20101021/message-from-the-manager_2262950_2192317

Interesting stuff from Calderwood ... not Cobblers related but he makes some very good points about team management in general

"Would rather win ugly, than lose playing great stuff"

Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2010, 17:11:16 pm »

Here you go Steve, the definition of hindsight in the Oxford dictionay. Note the word, AFTER!

The ability to understand, after something has happened, what should have been done or what caused the event

Blimey mate - that's TWICE in a week you've looked in a dictionary! I take my hat off to you.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2010, 17:48:30 pm »

Since we drew 0-0 at Leicester toward the end of October 2008, we've won 28 from 93 league games.  28 wins in two years is a hell of a blip.

But I can't work out just whose to blame.....

Stuart Gray originally shouldered it after we pitfully rolled over and suffered relegation, although according to some on here we were too good to go down and we were playing good football and we should give Gray time. Cardoza agreed with that, gave him the summer to build a team and then 6 games into last season fired him.

So onto Ian Sampson.  Now although he's been part of the management team for those 93 games, we can't blame him because, according to some in the infamous "New Broom" thread when Gray left, he had no input whatsoever into team affairs and could shoulder no blame for our relegation and we can't blame him now because he's still learning, we're playing good football and most of all he's a club legend. Originally he was manager to the end of last season and we'll see what happens but we had a decent run in the first three months of this year (our only decent run in the last 2 years) during which Cardoza decided to give him a 3 year contract!!!!!

And we can't blame Cardoza because under his stewardship we've gone from the club being saved to breaking our transfer record twice and having a great future in a big stadium to having no money and, despite "going in the right direction", we are worringly looking over our shoulder at the Blue Square Prem trap door!!!

I think I'm going to side with Ian Atkins and just blame Charlie Bishop.

Something needs to happen and fast because if things don't start to turn round soon, we're going to find ourselves in a relegation scrap.  And when you've gone on a run of 3 defeats in a row to teams like Macc, Cheltenham and Hereford, I think we should be very worried.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:53:42 am by St Edmundsbury Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2010, 21:30:39 pm »

Absolutely spot on.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2010, 09:57:16 am »

Since we drew 0-0 at Leicester toward the end of October 2008, we've won 28 from 93 league games.  28 wins in two years is a hell of a blip.

But I can't work out just whose to blame.....

Stuart Gray originally shouldered it after we pitfully rolled over and suffered relegation, although according to some on here we were too good to go down and we were playing good football and we should give Gray time. Cardoza agreed with that, gave him the summer to build a team and then 6 games into last season fired him.

So onto Ian Sampson.  Now although he's been part of the management team for those 93 games, we can't blame him because, according to some in the infamous "New Broom" thread when Gray left, he had no input whatsoever into team affairs and could shoulder no blame for our relegation and we can't blame him now because he's still learning, we're playing good football and most of all he's a club legend. Originally he was manager to the end of last season and we'll see what happens but we had a decent run in the first three months of this year (our only decent run in the last 2 years) during which Cardoza decided to give him a 3 year contract!!!!!

And we can't blame Cardoza because under his stewardship we've gone from the club being saved to breaking our transfer record twice and having a great future in a big stadium to having no money and, despite "going in the right direction", we are worringly looking over our shoulder at the Blue Square Prem trap door!!!

Something needs to happen and fast because if things don't start to turn round soon, we're going to find ourselves in a relegation scrap.  And when you've gone on a run of 3 defeats in a row to teams like Macc, Cheltenham and Hereford, I think we should be very worried.

Great post - sums it all up really. For me it all boils down to managerial appointments. The appointment of Wilkinson at the beginning of the current board's era set the tone - no rigorous interview process, no consideration of the man's history of failure, just pick the guy who happens to be at the right place at the right time. Result: the guy wastes the biggest transfer budget in our history assembling a squad with three goalkeepers and overated luxuries like Josh Low.

Most of the other appointments have followed the same pattern. The notable exception to this was Colin Calderwood who, whilst by no means a great manager, was nonetheless competent, solid and professional.  I seem to recall that at that time DC said that he had 'asked respected figures in the game' and they had recommended CC. Not the most rigorous appointment process, perhaps, but at least there was evidence that he had thought it through and asked for advice.

The appointment of Sammo was a throwback to the appointment of Wilkinson: pick the cheap guy who's on the payroll already. Sammo was appointed in spite of what must be one of the worst caretaker manager stints in history in which we shipped goals in left, right and centre.

We're now paying the price for this lack of rigour. When we appoint our next manager we must ensure that we do due dilligence and a proper interview process. The appointment of a manager is the most important decision a chairman can make - it should not be taken lightly.     

Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

When we appoint our next manager we must ensure that we do due dilligence and a proper interview process. The appointment of a manager is the most important decision a chairman can make - it should not be taken lightly.     

Hmmm, unfortunately that manager you mention sounds suspiciously like someone we might have to pay a wage to.

I heard a rumour that not only was Sammo the cheep option he was probably by far the cheepest option as he didn't get a pay rise from his previous position.

He' doing quite well really, hey?
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2010, 12:19:59 pm »

Hmmm, unfortunately that manager you mention sounds suspiciously like someone we might have to pay a wage to.

I heard a rumour that not only was Sammo the cheep option he was probably by far the cheepest option as he didn't get a pay rise from his previous position.

He' doing quite well really, hey?

I'm trying to get my head around what you're saying here Ralap. Are you seriously suggesting that had Sammo been paid more he would be doing better?

The only way I can see that being possible is if he is deliberately underperforming because he is disatisfied with his present wage packet.
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2010, 12:38:37 pm »

It's just yet another example of blind loyalty leading to the erroneous conclusion that Sammo is a victim of circumstances. He wanted the job, he was offered the job and he subsequently accepted the job on the terms that were offered. Regardless of circumstances, the man is failing.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2010, 14:01:42 pm »

This is, and has been my point since DC has taken over. Getting rid of Sammo will just unleash another opportunity to pay off one cheap manager to install another one.

But where does that leave us as fans? Most of us know that Sammo's not up to the job and yet we also know that if he goes we'll probably end up with another cheap, inadequate manager. I think the local media and the supporters trust need to do a better job at holding the board to account. They should have been right in there asking probing questions when it became apparent that Sammo was going to be appointed. Why was he appointed after such a disastrous spell as caretaker? Why weren't any other candidates interviewed or even considered? These are the questions that should have been asked.

I don't blame Sammo on a personal level at all.  He wanted the job because realistically it was the only chance that was going to fall his way. If a new man had been appointed there's even a chance that he would have lost his job as an assistant. He is a man of great integrity, commitment and passion. I still desperately hope he succeeds; I just can't see it happening.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 14:12:34 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2010, 14:13:24 pm »

I'm trying to get my head around what you're saying here Ralap. Are you seriously suggesting that had Sammo been paid more he would be doing better?

The post I quoted seems to want a manager that would need a decent wage. I pointed out that Sammo is on a poor wage for a full time manager. With Cardoza telling us there is no money available, if we carry on with this managers budget and Sammo is sacked we can expect another complete novice or just maybe someone worth the wage. Obviously the more likely next manager will be Crosby. Nothing more sinister than that.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2010, 14:14:57 pm »

He's saying.... who are you going to find to replace our manager, on what is a below average assistant coaches wage..... Huh??

Like I said...

Crosby or Parrish anyone?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Thank you Nigel.

You really have to wonder how Marvos mind works sometimes.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2010, 14:15:29 pm »

You know as well as I do that if they advertised the job they'd get dozens of applicants, some of them experienced managers.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2010, 14:22:28 pm »

The post I quoted seems to want a manager that would need a decent wage. I pointed out that Sammo is on a poor wage for a full time manager. With Cardoza telling us there is no money available, if we carry on with this managers budget and Sammo is sacked we can expect another complete novice or just maybe someone worth the wage. Obviously the more likely next manager will be Crosby. Nothing more sinister than that.

I agree completely Ralap. But as supporters we have to demand for this situation to change. Securing a decent manager should be the no.1 priority in terms of spending. We don't have the best budget in the league, but it's not the worst either and the fact is that money has been spent on players. The likes of Mckenzie, Purcell and Hall must all be on reasonable wages. How much would it take to get a decent manager?  Lincoln have managed to appoint Steve Tilson and I doubt they have much more money than us.

Some of that budget has to reallocated and used to bring in a decent manager. There has to be a proper interview process and people who know something about football have to be consulted. Otherwise this club will continue to go backwards.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 14:24:09 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2010, 14:23:17 pm »

You know as well as I do that if they advertised the job they'd get dozens of applicants, some of them experienced managers.

Some.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: