The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:27:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

David, Do your duty.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David, Do your duty.  (Read 4289 times)
Trotty

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 15:57:34 pm »

We're a year or two behind the likes of Chesterfield

We're a year or two behind Grimsby  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 16:01:19 pm »

That really is a silly comment. We will finish mid-table and hopefully have a decent run in the FA Cup.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 16:04:35 pm »

The Blue Square is littered with ex- league clubs whose supporters  probably all agonised like us lot at this time of their last football league season..........

only to find themselves stuck down there in seeming perpetuity...

It'll be a lot easier stopping up, than gaining promotion next year....whatever happens

Action before it's too late !
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 16:09:13 pm »

We are not going to be relegated. That's not over-confidence, just common sense.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Iest_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 16:17:11 pm »

We are not going to be relegated. That's not over-confidence, just common sense.

We all thought that when we were relegated from L1. There's no such thing as common sense in Football
Report Spam   Logged

I can't think of anything funny to write here
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 16:26:39 pm »

I've never understood why fans expect players or managers to stay loyal if they are offered better deals elsewhere. Peter Gleasure, who was a good friend and drove me to all the home games for years, stayed loyal to the club when other clubs came sniffing, then as soon as Carr left, the next manager couldn't wait to get rid of him. Loyalty is rarely repaid bu the clubs themselves.

To be fair though, Gleasure rapidly went down hill rapidly towards the end of Carr's reign and 'kept getting lobbed'!! He was instrumental in us getting relegated that season, 2 years before he was brilliant. Not too dissimilar to the demise of Lee Harper that we saw more recently. So Im not that surprised that Theo Foley promptly got shot of him!

Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 16:31:08 pm »

I've been going for 7 years and not once have i ever though 'i dont think i can face going to the next game' but thats how i felt on the drive back from Oxford lst week.

I've been going for over 20 years and I still haven't had that feeling, and do you know why? Its because I take a step back. You may find it makes you see things a bit more clearly.

I will remain consistent in this line that 24 hour media is the end of considered reflection. People have the opportunity to vent their frustrations on here at any moment of the day or night, drunk or sober, straight after the game or a few days after. The knock on effect of it all is that you all whip yourselves up into a fury about something far, far too quickly.

Sack the manager NOW you're all saying. He's been doing the job for just over 12 months and we're in a sticky patch. This is the first really bad patch we've had under Sammo, admittedly its not a good run of games but the speed with which you lot go moody would shock a woman with an extremely bad case of PMT!!!  
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 16:32:11 pm »

To be fair though, Gleasure rapidly went down hill rapidly towards the end of Carr's reign and 'kept getting lobbed'!! He was instrumental in us getting relegated that season, 2 years before he was brilliant. Not too dissimilar to the demise of Lee Harper that we saw more recently. So Im not that surprised that Theo Foley promptly got shot of him!

Peter Gleasure is still my favourite keeper in a lot of ways. The first Cobblers keeper I ever saw so was instantly a hero to a child of 7!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 16:40:45 pm »

Nip onto the Grimsby forum and look around about end of October, early November last year. I bet there was at least one mug like you saying the very same thing.
Report Spam   Logged
IzzyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 16:44:49 pm »

I've been going for over 20 years and I still haven't had that feeling, and do you know why? Its because I take a step back. You may find it makes you see things a bit more clearly.

I will remain consistent in this line that 24 hour media is the end of considered reflection. People have the opportunity to vent their frustrations on here at any moment of the day or night, drunk or sober, straight after the game or a few days after. The knock on effect of it all is that you all whip yourselves up into a fury about something far, far too quickly.

Sack the manager NOW you're all saying. He's been doing the job for just over 12 months and we're in a sticky patch. This is the first really bad patch we've had under Sammo, admittedly its not a good run of games but the speed with which you lot go moody would shock a woman with an extremely bad case of PMT!!!  

Well said. Nice to see that there are a few patient and considered fans on here.
Report Spam   Logged
dazza

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2010, 16:45:36 pm »

That really is a silly comment. We will finish mid-table and hopefully have a decent run in the FA Cup.

Are you sure that's not a silly comment!!
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2010, 16:48:54 pm »

The word 'hopefully' was included in there! I think the 24 hour media comment is spot on. Maybe more support and less over-analysis existed before the internet.
Report Spam   Logged

4everdelayed

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2010, 17:01:19 pm »

I recall visiting Grimsby's forum before our home game with them last year and there were similar threads and similarly one or two people standing by every decision the manager made and telling everyone to calm down and that everything would be okay. The table doesn't lie. We have around 40 points to pick up from the remaining games if we want to stay up and the longer we go on this consecutive run of losses the harder it's going to be to ever turn it round.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2010, 17:09:11 pm »

I realise that this is drifting away from the thread but Foley got shot of Gleasure because they had 'history' from their time together at Millwall. At the time he was dropped in late September, Peter had already saved three penalties and was in good form. The previous relegation had more to do with losing key players to injury, the likes of Wilcox and McPherson. The Gleasure example was simply to demonstrate that loyalty from players (and managers) is not always reciprocated by the clubs and their owners.
Report Spam   Logged

NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2010, 17:29:19 pm »

I recall visiting Grimsby's forum before our home game with them last year and there were similar threads and similarly one or two people standing by every decision the manager made and telling everyone to calm down and that everything would be okay. The table doesn't lie. We have around 40 points to pick up from the remaining games if we want to stay up and the longer we go on this consecutive run of losses the harder it's going to be to ever turn it round.

If we can't pick up 40 points in the remaining 33 games with this squad of players, everyone associated with the club wants shooting.
Report Spam   Logged

Marvo

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2010, 17:49:07 pm »

If we can't pick up 40 points in the remaining 33 games with this squad of players, everyone associated with the club wants shooting.

I'll go along with this as long as you agree that you are associated with the club!
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2010, 17:57:52 pm »

I think we will pick up the necessary points but will continue to watch and support be it in the league, conference, or the Championship "within the next five years".
Report Spam   Logged

NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2010, 18:00:55 pm »

I'll go along with this as long as you agree that you are associated with the club!

By that logic you would be associated with the club as well. Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Mistical

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2010, 18:06:37 pm »

We might as well give Sammo some time because the cost involved in sacking him probably means that DC won't want to mess up the break even season he's got going. DC must now realise that a 3 year contract is a f***ing stupid idea. 2 years at the most and the same should apply to players, unless it's a fantastic young talent. I only say give him more time because I don't think it can get any worse, and as a crap pop song says 'things can only get better'.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2010, 18:08:05 pm »

What's wrong with one year contracts with extension clauses?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: